Your New Diet Centers Around Protein
Nutrition is easy. All we need to do is monitor our proteins, fats, carbs. People call these macronutrients or ‘Macros’. Sticking to your macros is how you’re going to transform your body. Now that you’re getting great workouts in the gym, you want to target roughly 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. That’s easy to remember, right? Every day, your goal is to eat 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight.
Start your macro diet with these percentages: 40% of your calories from protein, 40% from carbs, and 20% from fat. Here’s an example:
If you are targeting 1900 calories in a day, your calorie intake would look like this:
- 40% calories from protein: 760 calories
- 40% calories from carbs: 760 calories
- 20% calories from fat: 380 calories
We can stop there, but it gets even EASIER when we’re dealing in grams. Thankfully, it’s simple to convert calories to grams.
- 1 gram of protein = 4 calories
- 1 gram of carbs = 4 calories
- 1 gram of fats = 9 calories
If we use our example above and divide everything into grams, it means your goals for the day are:
- Protein: 760 calories / 4 = 190 grams of protein
- Carbs: 760 calories / 4 = 190 grams of carbs
- Fat: 380 calories / 9 = 42 grams of fat
The BEST part of this is that MyFitnessPal will do all of this for you! You never have to worry about converting calories/grams. All you do is log your foods and it will keep track of everything – including calories and grams left in the day!
You can change your settings on MyFitnessPal under the settings. Choose 'Update diet/fitness profile'